Wednesday, August 08, 2007

De-lay, Boss, De-lay: An Open Letter To The MTA

Dear MTA,

Today it took me 2 hours to get into work. Apparently because of a big bad thunderstorm all train service was delayed, which is marginally understandable. I take my usual bus (which is never on time) to the 2 line. I was told the 2 is closed but I could take a bus to the F.

Cool! I get on said bus, which is packed with people, very sweaty irritable people, and ride out the dankness. The bus goes from "We're making all stops" to "Our last stop will be at the Q station. The station is not open. This bus is going out of service." Que? And then when I asked your employees about how I can get to the train I need, all I got were apathetic stares and eye rolls.

I then walk 20 blocks to the F (because every bus in the city is either packed or "out of service") to get on an overcrowded train to transfer to another overcrowded train. And not only do I have the honor of getting to swap sweat with my fellow riders and stand next to someone whose breath smells like cat anus, my commute comes complete with someone coughing phlegm into my newspaper.

Now I understand that the weather was bad and things are hectic, but how are you going to have a bus driver drop people off at a train station that BY THE DRIVER'S OWN ADMISSION isn't open? Come on MTA, that's fucking retarded! Why are buses going out of commision for no reason?? Why weren't more trains re-routed to support stranded riders??? And then you want to propose a fare hike????!!

In sum I want $7, $6 for the cost of transportation and $1 for my paper (I know it was free, but I'm tacking on labor and sweat taxes).

Thanks again for the hell ride and please go fuck yourselves,

Calvin

No comments: