Tuesday, June 05, 2007

What Have I Done?

...I just accidentally booked myself on 4 open mics/reg shows is what I've done. Mercifully two of them are a couple blocks away from each other, but the other two of them is way over on the East Side and another is so far uptown I'll get a nose bleed.

Will I do all of them?--Well, I'll try my damnedest!

Will the hosts will be pissed?--MOST LIKELY! I don't want to be "that guy": the guy who breezes into a room, puts on airs, does 5 super-rehearsed minutes (and subsequently pretends that he "just came up with that material on the train ride over"), then leaves with a corny wink and a gun. It's annoying to be that guy. I've seen "that guy" at my show. I HATE THAT GUY!

Okay I know I should just cancel a show and trim the fat but I really want to see if I can do it, if I'll feel that rush of "Wow, I just did my own set 4 times in front of different audiences." A while ago, when I was first flirting with the idea of doing comedy, I remember watching a documentary on mid-level comics. I watched this one comic (I can't remember his name but I know he has a Comedy Central Presents credit) do four paid gigs in one night. And I marveled at the fact that he could actually go through the motions of his bit, and not feel bored or suicidal.

I don't even care if I bomb all of them, I just want to see if I have the stamina. In fairness, I have done 3 open mics in a night before, but usually I've done them to 3 disgruntled comics or I'll just kind of give up by the last one. This time I'm going to do it! Wish me luck.

Also...remind me to write about the Naked Comedy Show. I don't think I ever described it--and I think I might do it again. "Naked Comedy?" you ask, face screwed up like Scooby-Doos. Yes, completely NAKED COMEDY. More to come...

P.S. - I'm watching this comedy showcase on TV and this one comic looks like Dr. Robotnik. Seriously, I expected him to leave the stage in an egg-shaped vehicle. Damn, I know comedians don't have to dress nice but good Lord don't give me an eye infection!

No comments: